Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Blog Entry






Tomorrow we leave for home. We will leave the hotel around six am so we will pack tonight. How will Hudson respond to all his/our belongings being placed in suitcases? How will he do on the long flight? Thankfully the flight attendants speak Mandarin. We are so ready to get back home. I don't think I will fully relax until I am walking out of DIA with my family safe and sound.

Last night I took Hudson over to the 7/11 across the street. Nearly everyone lives in high-rises and the population is very dense, thus convenience stores do very well and there are two or three on every block. So Hudson picked out these chocolate filled little graham cookies and he just ate those right up. However, it turns out they were not filled with chocolate but rather coffee, and it was not decaf. Bed time was not so smooth last night.

As you may be picking up, Hudson has a very playful spirit that includes much tickling, hitting and poking. However, this also includes thrusting his hand up people's backside. He does this not only with the other children but also with the female adults and even me. Of course, we/I have told him NO very sternly and that not everyone wants or needs that kind of exam, but he still would do it. This morning, not knowing what else to do I communicated (via the iTouch translation app we've been using) that he brings shame to our family when he does this. I tried to tell him that it is ok to tickle but he must not do that other thing.
It turned out using the "shame" word was like using a nuke. He totally shut down looking pathetically mournful. I tried to tell him I am still very glad he is my son and that I like him and love him but he was still crushed. I had to take him to one of our guides to who could fully explain to him all that needed to be said. He finally got back to his normal happy self. The language barrier has been difficult. Next we have see what we can do about having him eat some vegetables.

I suspect Rachel will blog once more before we leave here.
Looking forward to seeing all of you and having tap water.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment